You can contact your mentor or the Mentorship Committee for anytime, any kind of assistance or feedback. Write to the MRC at : firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Counseling Services is also one of the most useful services provided by the institute. Our counselor, Mrs. Rupa Murghai, with her vast knowledge and experience has helped numerous students overcome such problems and succeed in life. One must remember, however, that counseling and its services can do much more good, if people approach the service freely without any kind of hesitation. It is completely fine to ask for help and we are always there to help you.
You can directly reach the counsellor at :
Student Counselling Services , AD-238 Admin Block (Next to U.G. Section), IITD
Timings : Mon to Fri 9-5:30 pm (Emergency services always available)
- I am attending all the classes, revise all my notes, and understand all major concepts in the course. Yet, I am not able to score well. What should I do?
Firstly, it’s a very common problem faced by the students of all years. There are n number of possibilities here. Perhaps you are only focusing on your strong concepts. Perhaps you are depending on last minute learning rather than a good amount of practice. The solution is effective identification of the actual reason behind the same. Identifying one’s own flaw might become difficult at times, in which case, it will be helpful to approach the counsellor for resolving the issue.
- I find myself wasting the time, right after my classes. I come back to the hostel at around 5 in the evening and I end up doing nothing productive till dinner time, probably just sitting on facebook or whiling away my time.
Bring your old tennis shoes back
All of us here at IIT Delhi have gone through 2 rigorous years before coming to the college. You did a great job at academics. But what you don’t realize is that you ended up leaving something like a hobby (art, music, etc.) or a sport (tennis). Hence the reference of the tennis shoes. It’s time to relive that hobby for here you are, with a sea of opportunities in front of you. This is the appropriate time for you to develop and learn new skills. You have excellent facilities, people willing to help and a lot of time apart from your regular curriculum. Academics come first, but there are always a lot of other things to learn.
- A lot of time has gone by in college, and yet I am feeling homesick. I see my friends around me, who have perfectly adjusted to the life here. Is that natural?
At a fundamental level, it is perfectly natural to think about your home at times. After all, a lot of us have left our homes for the first times in our lives and we miss it. However, it becomes a problem when it starts affecting your academics and hindering your interests in general. A possible solution is to put your mind at ease in this new environment. You can either spend more time with your friends, i.e. people whom you are comfortable with. If you are not that much of a people person, try hobbies like reading or engaging in individual sports like squash or tennis. Remembering your home is fine, but you should not let it overbear your present.
- What do I say when I go to a Counselor?
The way of expressing your problem is insignificant. If you have difficulty in letting it out just say, “I don’t know where to begin.” The Counselor will explore the issue by asking questions from you and digging out your problem by evaluating your answers.
I study more than my peers but seem to be scoring the lowest marks in the class? Why me?
Being IITians and having been exposed to grueling competition, we all have this habit of comparing ourselves with others around us. Although some amount of healthy competition is required to maintain high standards of performance in the institute, there is a need to realize that every individual, his way of doing things and his attitude towards his work are different. This is why there is little merit in constantly demeaning your endeavors based on others, while your time could be spent in working hard towards your own goals. Self-awareness and keeping a reality check of your performance based on your goals is an important aspect of becoming successful.
- How can it be fine to be in need of help? Right, it’s not okay to be dependent on anyone for solving your problems, like it’s not okay to fracture your leg every 3 months and go to your doctor to get treatment. It is not a good habit to become dependent on the Counselor to solve your problems, which is why there is no advice/guidance as such that is given by the Counselor. She opens up all the options and lets you choose the most suitable according to you. This is not very different from a person consulting his doctor regularly for any physical injury/ailment. It is the social stigma in going to a Counselor because of which we haven’t learnt to take care of our mental health like our physical fitness. The point here is to get rid of this stigma, so that you can get the help when you need it.